Sunday, April 26, 2009

Miracles never cease...

So WE'RE HOME!  Really that is enough said!  I am so glad to be home.


Can you believe that after OPEN HEART surgery she only had to spend 5 days in the hospital??Amazing to me!  When I last wrote and came home to shower, when I got back to the hospital they'd PULLED EVERYTHING OUT (almost)!   They took out her Chest tube (the big tube draining from her chest, where the surgery happened), the pacing wires (they had attached wires to her heart because after heart surgery a lot of times while the heart is healing it can have strange rhythms...too slow, too fast (this surgery usually has too fast problems)...so they have her attached to a machine that can pace the heart if this happens--about 5% of the time they actually have to put a pacer inside), and her arterial line!!! WOW!  In one hour she almost had a normal looking tummy!!!  

I was so happy they were out but kind of annoyed that they did it all when I couldn't be there for her. I had waited for the doctor rounds to run home, but they never came so I asked the nurse if she thought that they would come out today and Mckinley was still draining so she didn't think so.  I had to be back for an apt. with the cardiology NP so I didn't have a lot of time. They gave her morphine and said she did okay. So really that was the biggest thing we were waiting for!

That day she de-sated a couple times (her O2 level dropped to the 80s) and we gave a little O2 but after doing a chest x-ray that looked fine, they said that she still has mixing of blood due to the really small valve she had so that is going to be normal for her, and really we probably do that as well sometimes.  So that night I was able to start to nurse her finally!! She did great!  I was afraid to even hold her, because I didn't want to hurt her but she is a little trooper!  On Sat. we did another chest x-ray and echo--everything looked good, pulled her last line out and here we are!!  Finally able to start recovery at home!!!

We are again supposed to stay away from people for 6 weeks but then we can start leading a little bit more normal life!  Miracles never cease!!!! 

9 comments:

Being Ausmus said...

YAHOO!!! Laura I'm smiling ear to ear over here!!! What a recovery!!! I'm so happy for that wee little angel of yours...its all about healing now, so wonderful!!! I'm sad it'll still be another 6 weeks till we get to hang out but I'm elated that in 6 weeks we get to hang out!!!!! Thinking and praying for you guys always!
xo

Laurie said...

Wow! So glad you got to take her home! That is incredible that she can go home after only 5 days. It took our girls 2 months till they were ready to come home just for being born early! I was afraid to hold them too, since they were only 3 lbs. I felt like they were so fragile, so I know the feeling. I hope you enjoy your time at home with her. I was so glad to finally bring mine home, it is just such a warmer and friendlier atmosphere than the hospital.

Rebecca said...

Hip hip hooray!!! Such wonderful, exciting, fabulous news!!! We are SO happy and grateful that you are all able to be home together. What a miracle. We love you all and will continue to remember you in our prayers...both with gratitude that everything has gone so well, and with hope that her recovery at home will continue to go so smoothly and quickly!

Tiff said...

How wonderful! I am so happy for you! I can't believe that it only took 5 days. What a little trooper!

Brittany said...

What wonderful news!! It is an amazing miracle that she is doing so well. We are thrilled for you!!!

Anonymous said...

What great news! Congratulations to you all. I'm so glad things went as smoothly as they have and hope that home recovery goes just as well. We'll continue to keep you in our prayers and if you ever need to chat, call me!!

browneyedgirl said...

Woo-hoo! Is that a marathon recovery, I think so!! Awesome news and just 6 more weeks, you can do it!

Jacy said...

What an amazing little gal!! All thanks to her amazing mama, no doubt. I am so happy for you. I have been thinking about you and praying for you guys so much. I can't imagine trying to keep her healthy with a toddler in the house. I feel like Reeve has had a stuffy nose since birth, mostly thanks to the germs Libby spreads around, but I know if anyone can do it, you can!! I will keep you all in my prayers, but I'm so happy to hear everything has been going so wonderfully! Thanks for keeping us updated even during this time that is no doubt so busy for you.

Sarah S said...

I am so happy for you and your family! What wonderful news. It amazes me how resilient kids are. I'm so glad you can be home now and not have to keep making trips to the hospital each day.