Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Post op: day 2



So today was another miracle day!!!  Here are a few comments from all the Cardiologists that stopped by today...


* "Does she realize that she had Open Heart surgery yesterday?"

* "We are making her are new poster child for heart surgery and show all these other heart patients how to really recover!"

* Doc:  "so pink"
   Me: "yes we had to bring a pink blanket for her"
   Doc: "no no, SHE'S so pink!!"

* "She's thinking, "what just open heart surgery?  What more can you throw at me?  I can take it...give me more!"

So basically she's just blowing her recovery out of the water.  She started eating today and as mentioned earlier she loves to eat so she's already known as miss piggy--eating great even with a sore chest!  She got her folley catheter out today as well since she's doing well in that area also.  She's still swollen but she's not near as puffy as most kids are either!  So slowly, well actually not that slowly, she is getting out all her attachments!  they tried to take her O2 off but her sats dropped some so they kept that one on.  Shes taking morphine, tylenol and an iv drug like ibprofen for pain.

We are so blessed, just can't say that enough.  I had a really hard time a few times yesterday and was unable to hold back the tears, like when we had to give her to the anest. and watch her walk away for surgery, and when they took out the ET tube--it was uncomfortable for her.  I used to be able to hold those in...I could be strong for Kennedy, but it is just too close to home here.  I am so grateful for all the incredible blessings because I'm not as strong as I used to be and they'd have a basket case on their hands...and luckily Heavenly Father knows it!  Thanks for all your comments!  We love you guys!

13 comments:

paige said...

I can't tell you how happy I am for you guys! You deserve the best and I'm glad her surgery went so well!!! YEAH!

Tiff said...

I am so happy that everything is going so well! I have been checking your blog and loving the updates. I tried to leave a comment yesterday so you could know that I was thinking about you but I was away from my normal computer and the connection I had didn't seem to let me do anything I wanted. But now you know... I've been thinking about you and am so happy that things are going so smoothly!

Matthew said...

Awesome!

AP said...

i am SO happy for you all! what a tough little girl. we'll keep praying for you always. take care.

Tiff said...

Oh one more thing I wanted to say Laura, you ARE incredibly strong. Don't judge your strength on the fact that sometimes you can't help but let the tears flow. Sometimes crying can't be helped. I have been amazed at how strong you have been for Mckinley; and even if you have to show it in a different way than you did with Kennedy, it is still there. So don't you dare tell yourself you aren't strong, because you are!

Rebecca said...

Ditto what Tiff said!

We are SO happy to hear how well her recovery is going. We'll keep the prayers coming!!! Love you all!

Rian Krommenhoek said...

Well, if you aren't strong I don't know who is. I cried when they took Coy back for eye surgery. If you need a wimp I'm the poster child. I love hearing all this great news, keep it coming.

sarajane said...

I am so so so glad! You guys are the best!!!

Laurie said...

What a little trooper! I'm sooo glad she is doing so incredibly well! Oh man, I would have totally lost it too. I lost it several times in the NICU, and that is nothing compared to open heart surgery. There is something about an adorable innocent little child having to endure so much, especially when she are your own. It just makes you hurt.

Amy W said...

Yeah Mckinley! She is so beautiful! We are so happy things are going well!

susan said...

What a miracle! She looks perfect and absolutely beautiful! I bet Kennedy is watching over her and all of you right now.

How is Harrison doing? The child life specialist can be really nice to work with. Is he going to be able to see her soon? Julianne was so cute with Charity. She watched movies by her bedside.

I hope to see you soon. And BTW, tears doesn't mean you aren't strong. Reading your posts show the incredible strength and faith you have. We love you!

Bennett Family said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I agree-handing them over is the WORST part! Glad things went well. And don't hold back the tears!!!

xoxo
Love you guys.

browneyedgirl said...

I'm glad everything has worked out so well for Mckinley! How wonderful!