History: Those who really know me know that I DON'T EXERCISE! Period. I pretty much haven't had consistent (or at all!) physical movement since I was 13 and stopped swim team when I moved to Maryland. I tried track to get in shape twice, but got shin splits and ended up walking backwards most the season and the second time wasn't much better. Not to mention the fact that I HATE RUNNING!!!!
Spark: So in this June Heidi asked me to start running with her to get in shape. My double stroller had a flat, so I told her that if my stoller got fixed I would run with her. So she got her husband to fix the flat...which means I actually had to run! We did, once, and it was pretty awful :)!! I decided that I really needed to get into shape! So I tried to run again, and it was awful. So I decided to listen to music and run, and it was bearable. So then, I decided to run twice in one week! (I am pathetic I know). I was talking at park group how much I don't like running so I break it up with biking a couple times a week. Jacki and Tara had both done a triathlon before so they suggested, "why don't you just do a triathlon? your basically doing it if you just add swimming?"...
Caught: hummm..."really? Well, I guess I'll do it if you do it with me!" Tara was prego so she was out, but Jacki said, "Okay, lets do it!" WHAT??! did I just get myself into??? "Okay...I guess so..."
Putting my money where my mouth is: So I started running and biking. I "trained-ish" a couple weeks in June. Had a couple week vacation in Utah--did NOTHING! Trained a couple weeks in July. Went on a two week vacation in Maryland--ran the first and last day and swam laps once. Then ran and biked for a month and swam laps one more time. Jacki lent me a triathlon book and I finished it 3 days before the race...mental note: next time I do this...the book would be helpful about 3 MONTHS before the race.
THE RACE: So Saturday, Sept. 25, 2010 I offically became a TRIATHLETE!!! And here are the pics to prove it! (my father in law came into town so he was the photographer :))
Before
Ready to swim
patient kiddos
the run (yuck!)
Doesn't she just look like Ryan??
VICTORY!!!
Some super sweet mamma's!!! Thanks Jacki! You were awesome!! And to top it off we not only finished but did pretty well! And I actually enjoyed it! I felt great, and I already want to do it again!!! I can see how this can get addicting...I can't believe that I actually just said that?!



10 comments:
Great job Laura! Congratulations!!
I can't believe you just said that either, good work!
Yay!!!! I'm super proud of you gals for doing it! It really is strangely addicting. Hopefully one of theses years we can do it together
i am so proud of you!! is that weird for a friend to say? haha. you got some great pictures too! maybe next year i'll join you!
Awesome! Maybe I should do one of these some day?! My brother (John) talked me into running the Ragnar Relay in DC last weekend. I didn't train enough and it just about killed me, but it was still fun! So I know what you mean about training...Next time, I need to do better!
that's awesome laura! i *really* need to do one of those too. maybe ryan wants to train w/me ;-)
You are awesome!! I have always wanted to do a triathalon... maybe some day. You will be my inspiration (as you always are!) Great job!
You go girl! That's awesome. I too have been really bad at exercising since high school. I did really well a few months before our trip to Cancun, but since we've been back I've returned to my lazy self. Dang! Its hard to stay motivated. Anyway yes we have to plan a scuba diving trip together sometime I would love that! It would sure be fun to see you guys again!
Thanks for your comment on my blog, Laura! It was an especially hard week so you must've been inspired! :)
I think this is so amazing - I love that you said you don't like running... I'd love to do something like this sometime but really don't like running but think this sounds fun! Maybe I could do it! Maybe Andrew and I should train together... ha ha...
Ok, I know the world is a small place because I found your blog while I was on Jenny Allen's blog. Jenny happens to be Aaron's cousin!!
Beside that, I am so proud of you!!! And Jacki, too! You girls are so inspiring to me - honestly! I hate to run too and now I am going to try :)
Love,
Yolanda Taylor.
Post a Comment