Monday, September 27, 2010

Kennedy's 7th Birthday


Yesterday was Kennedy's 7th birthday. It really seems unbelievable that she would really be 7. Was I really first a mother 7 years ago? Could I really have had a 7 year old running around the house?

I usually try to avoid looking at the ages of the kids in primary around that time...it seems more of a grey area is easier for me, but I broke down and actually consciously looked at the class that she would be in, the girls that she would be friends with...It is a small class, in fact it is added to the next class up because there are only 3 girls, 1 only comes sometimes...if she were here then we might consider having their own class, of 4 cute little blond girls. I wonder...she was strong, independent, determined, intelligent...what would she have been like now? Would she be as talkative as those girls were yesterday? I always wonder.

I did have a tender mercy yesterday. I haven't played the flute for years, but they asked me to play with the choir yesterday. The song is in the Aug. ensign and really beautiful. At first I just played the notes but then a week ago I started to read the words, and they were perfect for yesterday. Perfect to honor my little girl. Perfect to always remember where my home really is, where Kennedy already is...waiting.

Come Home

Come Home, the Father calls.
Come home, my child, to me.
Come home, The Holy Ghost will lead you to eternity.

(chorus) Lest we forget our home's with God,
This lovely earth, its seas, its sky
And all things beautiful and true of Heavenly Father testify.

Come home, the Savior calls.
Come home all who'll obey.
Come home, the Gospel guides a long the straight and narrow way.

(chorus)

Come home, loved voices call.
Come home where you belong.
Come home to live in joy forever in our family throng.

(chorus)

I also did sharing time and we talked about our love growing for the Savior as we read the scriptures and I used the example of how Harrison will learn to love his older sister through my journals/pics/stories even though he will never meet her on this earth, just as we will never see Christ on this earth but we learn of Him and His works through the scriptures. At first I couldn't bring her up, but now being able to talk about her and let others know about her helps me because she is still apart of my life, just not many others know it. So if I can share her, she can still help others and will still make a difference in not only my life, but others.

Happy Birthday Little Honey

14 comments:

Katie said...

Thank you for sharing Laura. I love the analogy you used in sharing time- that will help me! You are a wonderful example to everyone who knows you.

Jenny said...

What a pretty song, how perfect.

paige said...

I'm such a cry baby, but thanks for sharing that song...I started crying when I read the first line. Love you sweet Kennedy!

Miss you guys!

Tammy said...

Your flute playing was gorgeous, and how strong are you that you got through the whole thing put together... you are amazing.

E B said...

Thanks for sharing that with us, Laura.

Laurie said...

That song is perfect.

Jacy said...

You are amazing, Laura. I really don't know how you do it. You are such an example to me. Thank you for sharing.

I can't believe Kennedy would be seven already! And great work on all the updates! No doubt your future blog book will be part of the legacy that helps your other kids come to know Kennedy. Your words about her are so inspiring, and the pictures are so tender. Thanks for helping all of us get to know her, too. Her influence is most definitely still felt through you.

Tiff said...

Thanks so much for sharing. I always love reading your posts.

Rian Krommenhoek said...

Wow, i remember talking on the phone with you just after her birth. I can't believe its been 7 years. You must long for her so. Happy birthday Kennedy.

Scott McMillan said...

Happy Birthday Kennedy!! I am certain you were in that room watching down on your beautiful mom as she played the flute on your birthday. You continue to touch many of our lives. I look forward to meeting you someday and saying thank you!

Jacki said...

I feel like I get to know her through your other kids - that picture of her looks so much like Harrison. I bet she loves Harrison and McKinley so much.

Happy Birthday!

Esther Noelle said...

Thanks for sharing this Laura! How beautiful. And it's neat to think Kennedy could've been playing up in Heaven with Harrison and McKinley before they came down!

dersley said...

What a beautiful post. And I love how you find ways to continue to create memories with your darling little Kennedy. Her life and your words have taught me many time of eternal families, the resurrection, faith, and sacrifice. I will always be grateful to you and her for that.

Happy Birthday to Kennedy!!!

Sarah S said...

Happy Birthday to your sweet Kennedy! I am always so touched by your posts about your oldest little girl and am once again sitting here with tears pouring out of my eyes. I'm so glad for the Plan of Salvation and that truth that we have, knowing we'll be with our loved ones again. I think being a mom of two little ones makes my heart hurt so much to think about what you and Ryan have gone through. You are such an example to me. Lots of love to you both,

Sarah