Monday, November 24, 2008

Ultrasounds...

So at the beginning of my pregnancy I asked the doctor to not do an u/s (ultrasound) because I only wanted the one at 20 weeks.  Well, since then I have had to have a few more then planed.  About a month ago we had our first u/s!  and NO WE DON'T KNOW WHAT WE'RE HAVING!  I talked Ryan into not finding out the last minute.  Thought the doc gave us a sealed envelope with a certain picture on it...and yes, I have it hidden and Ryan doesn't know where it is :)!  Well, the u/s tech was taking forever and said that he couldn't get a couple of veiws because the baby wasn't cooperating.  I didn't think anything of it (which I should have known better) so he went to get the perinatologist.  I ate some jelly beans and the baby started moving and she started looking at the heart...again.  So then I started to worry, I had the tech check everything that I was worried about like the baby has a brain, there were two kidneys, arms and legs, a beating heart...the usual.  So then I was informed that it "looked like the baby has a hole in the heart, and I'm not seeing the vessels cross...so how bout another u/s tomorrow with a pediatric cardiologist?" "Sure, why not"...I mean what could I say?

So, Ryan canceled a trip for work and the next day we had another hour long u/s and this is what out little baby has:
Tetralogy of Fallot (here's a general pic)

So this is generally what it is but this first u/s showed that we only had on of the pulmonary arteries (the blue branching "T" shaped thing)to the right lung and not to the left(so instead of a "T" an upsidedown "L").  Also the pul. valve and arteries are half the size they are supposed to be, and the hole(ventricular septal defect) is supposedly "fairly large".  So we were obviously thrilled :~( and I vow never to go to the doctor in Oct. again because it seems to be cursed for us!  But after some prayers and fasting we felt okay about it.  
SO...
We went back this past friday for the next installment of our little one's heart.  And GOOD NEWS!  well, I think it is!  Yes, the baby still has tetralogy but they think they saw the other pulmonary artery (so a "T" instead of "L").  Also, even though the arteries are still half the size they are supposed to be...they are still half the size--which means that they grew with the heart and there is still bloodflow through them with is KEY--as long as the blood flows then that should stimulate them to keep growing with the heart!! 
SO...
What this all means is that this baby is doing fine while he/she is in me.  When the baby is born is when they need the blood flow to the lungs (the pulmonary arteries are how the blood gets from the heart to the lungs, getting oxygen for the rest of the body...so kind of important) so that the baby can breath and receive the o2 that they will need.  So it all depends on how the baby does at birth.  The baby will need open heart surgery but when and how many will all depend on the baby, when they are born and how the surgery(ies) go.  
SO...
I guess we'll keep hoping it gets better and that I can cook this baby as long as I can!  
Hope everyone has a HAPPY THANKSGIVING THIS WEEK!!!!

16 comments:

Liz said...

I was SOOO thrilled for you to come back from your last ultrasound with good news! Your kids are so lucky to have such a strong mommy!

JENNIFRO said...

Oh gosh, what a stressful time. We will remember your sweet little "it" in our prayers. What excitement though, to have another little adorable babe on the way! Thanks so much for your sweet comment on my blog. ; )

Bennett Family said...

Holy cow Laura...I don't even know what to say. You are a serious pillar of strength and an inspiration to everyone that knows you. You and your family will be in our thoughts & prayers.

xoxoxo

Katharine said...

Gosh you guys can not get a brake. You are so strong though Laura I know you can make it through this. You and your little baby will be in our prayers. You are such a great example of strength, hope and fortitude. Love you! PS: Are you guys going to be in DC for Christmas. If so, we should do a little reunion with the girls. Adrienne and I will be there and I know Sarah is coming back too...what say you?

Sarah S said...

OH Laura and Ryan. What a stressful, horrible thing to experience. I'm so glad you've had good news since the first ultrasound. We'll keep you and your baby in our prayers.

Esther Noelle said...

We'll keep you and your baby in our prayers!!

Tiff said...

Oh Laura, I think about you all the time. I wish this could be easier for you but, you will make it and you will be in my prayers!

paige said...

Laura,
I don't even know what to say....but I'm glad that you got some good news at your last ultrasound. I know you guys and this little baby will be able to get through this. Thank goodness for amazing doctors and what they can do. You are in our prayers!
Love ya!

Clair said...

Oh, Laura!! Wow, what crazy news to receive at an ultrasound. I will be praying for you and your little one and I hope it all turns out to be best case scenario for you guys. Lots of love!! xoxo

p.s. was cleaning out the garage and came across a 7th grade band picture of us. brought back good memories :) miss you, friend.

Rebecca said...

Laura, You know we love you guys tons. Thank heavens for this bit of good news. I say we keep on fasting & praying for complete miraculous in-utero recovery, but regardless, our prayers for any good turn for darling little baby will continue. Miss you TONS and can't wait to be with you my friend.

Jenny said...

i am so happy things are looking a little better with the baby's heart. your relief society lesson on trials was soo soo good and basically you are the most amazing strong person ever! i just had a fun time catching up on some of your blog posts- i had already forgotten how long your hair was when you moved in!

Anonymous said...

I am loving you so much right now, Laura. I can't believe all the happenings of 2008 for your family. I hope you finally got your furniture along with a full refund! I'm glad the wedding was beautiful. And I'm so happy that things are looking up for your baby! My little sister had tiny arteries and two open-heart surgeries (way back in 1980-81) and she is totally healthy, has been a cheerleader mulitiple times, now is married & has two beautiful children. So with the advances in technology in the bast 28 years, I'm sure things will be great for you're little darling. We will pray for you all as mid-March draws nigh. Know of our love!!

Shannon said...

Laura,
I've thought of you a lot since you told me the news. I am so thrilled for any bit of good news so we'll keep the positive thoughts going! We will also be fasting for you and keeping you in our prayers. We love you guys and know you will be blessed. Happy cooking :).

Rian Krommenhoek said...

Okay, so I am a late comer. I had your blog address wrong when I updated to a blog roll. Anyway, I would love an update from this last post when you have time. What a blessing to have such amazing technology so that there are no surprises (well, except the gender, but that was by choice). I'm sure you will have a full deliver room, everyone ready and waiting to welcome this new baby and bring him/her some much needed stitches.

Brittany said...

I wish I knew what to say! You all have been through so much!! Please know that you are constantly in our thoughts and prayers. I wish I was there to give you a big hug. Please know we are sending all our love!!

Michelle said...

I am finally catching up... Laura, I just pray and hope that things go really well for you here in the next little while. Love you lots and hope the very best for you.