Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Its time!

POTTY TIME!!!! So Yes, he is 3 1/2 and Yes I have been putting this off for over a year now, what a terrible mother I am! But I guess we all know our limits and I regret to admit that the thought of potty training scared the PANTS off ME!


So my mom decided that I needed a little encouragment :) and sent me the book that she used, "Toilet Training in less that a day." A scam you might think...but no it was "used by millions of parents!" Well, I guess that i do know where to do 'my business' so it must have worked. So I read it a while ago and continued with my excuses...until the "after Christmas" one came and IT WAS TIME!

Sunday: After church we started. I just put on the BIG BOYS! Well. About 3 1/2 hours and 2 bigboys later it was bed time and I gratefully changed him into a diaper and sent him to bed. I thought that wasn't so bad so we'll try tomorrow.

Monday: Put him on the potty (he went) and changed him into bigboys. 10 hours and 9 bigboys later I was DONE! Thats right. He was just going to have to figure it out on his own time. (though I can't short change him...he actually went poo once in the right spot...)

Monday night: okay...I guess I should look at that book again and see what (yes, humility) I did wrong. I decided that I had thought Harrison knew what to do, since he has gone on the potty periodically throughout this year, but OBVIOUSLY that was not the case, so I started from the beginning...

Tuesday: Got up, got breakfast, got our house ready to show the realators, had two families stop by and see our place, put Mckinley down for her nap...(now QUALITY POTTYTIME with little bud!) Put Harrison in bigboys, found a stuffed animal that he was going to teach to potty. Taught his little green bear (who did very well if you want to know) with bigboys, treats, trips to the potty, accidents, and practices! Then read his elmo potty book (with green bear of course). Then BRIBED him to sit on the potty, yes, I admit it, candy was the key sadly (hey, I didn't write the book). Then I did all that with him and...DID NOT LET HIM OUT OF MY SIGHT! And 8 hours and 1 bigboy later it was bedtime! The only time he had an accident was when I had to go and ran in just in time to catch him and help him finish in the potty!

Wednesday: 730 am bigboy time. 730 pm bedtime. DRY ALL DAY! We even went to play group for and hour and a half! Amazing!!! I'm so proud of him!!!

So Moms out there, I SALUTE YOU, potty training now seems okay that he did so well so fast but I swear that one day sure seemed like an eternity!! Your amazing!!

14 comments:

The Alleman Family said...

Oh potty training! I do not miss those days. That is great that he addapted so quickly, and even better for you! Now on the the realtors... are you guys moving? Where?
p.s. your christmas card was so cute!

paige said...

I was so scared to potty train Trace too! I waited til he was over 3. I think the older they are, the easier it is, BUT, I will never wait that long again now that I know I can do it! Congrats--it's so nice to have one out of diapers!!!

Being Ausmus said...

K I have so many questions for you. Jacob is 2 months shy of 3 years. I wasn't going to start until he was three but by that time I'll be overwhelmed with a brand new baby so we've decided to start early and hope he's done by the time Allie arrives.
I think maybe I'll just call you. Did you take him every 15 minutes or did you wait for him to tell you he has to go?
Jacob has had a couple "total" dry days but only because I'm trained in taking him every 15 minutes. If I forget to take him he'll tell me AFTER he's peed in his big boy underwear. I feel like its me thats trained, not him. Also he still won't poo.
I haven't had him teach one of his toys...I've gotten a sticker chart (which he doesn't care about) and treats which he does love. Do you think teaching one of his stuffies would make the difference?
HELP!

Being Ausmus said...

PS. Where are you moving? News to me!

Jenny said...

oh i'm so happy for you that it went quickly! we've had a couple dry days but then yesterday Kate had 3 accidents!! one after i had JUST told her to go use the potty and she threw a big fit over it. arghh. potty training. such fun.

Katie said...

Both my boys waited till around 3 and a half-so don't feel bad! As a friend of mine told me- you can either use underpants as diapers or diapers as diapers! I'm glad it went so well- I'll definitely have to read that book in a year!

Bennett Family said...

WHERE WAS THAT BOOK when i was trying to potty train my youngest for YEARS?! :)

cynthia said...

This story (ok I know it was real life, but it sure made for a good story to us readers) was hilarious! Hope it continues to work out so well :) Good job BIG Buddy! Great job Mommy!!

Lisa said...

Oh, after this baby comes I have to start potty training Audrey and I am so not looking forward to it. I'm glad to hear your success story. Nice work!

Unknown said...

Good job!!!

Unknown said...

Congratulations Laura!! You did it!!

Sarah S said...

Hooray!!! Good job Laura. I'm so impressed at how fast Harrison was using the potty so well. We try it off and on with Eli, but I give up after a day or two of lots of accidents. You're inspiring me to try some new methods :)

E B said...

Good work! It took 3 separate attempts for it to stick with Sarah! I finally found your blog address. So now I'll be a regular reader, I'm excited!

Jill said...

I'm so glad you told me about this book. We tried it with Jonah this weekend and it was a miracle! Thanks so much -- it saved out sanity (after 6 months of torturous potty training!) Congrats to Harrison too!